Friday, August 22, 2008

Sick 'N' Tired

It occurs to me that many of you may think that that brief evening of croup 2 weeks ago was the extent of the illness in our home. Au contraire!! It has been what is starting to feel like a neverending saga of pestilence.

Let's see, that first night of croup with Matthew was followed by a second night, which included a trip to the emergency room, always a fun way to spend the wee hours of the morning, followed by 4 days on a prescription steroid, which made him quite cranky.

The following Monday found me with an icky sore throat and Matt and Grace still with goopy noses. Overall though, things were looking up until Matthew spiked a fever on Wednesday and Grace's eyes turned red. Off to the doctor where they were diagnosed with ear infections (2 for Matt, 1 for Grace) and pinkeye (Grace). TWO prescriptions for amoxicillin (and a note on the shopping list to stock up on bananas and diapers). On Friday evening, my throat was still screaming and I noticed a white spot back there. Fearing strep, I hustled off to the Urgent Care Center, where I was informed it was not strep but a canker sore on the back of my throat coupled with a sinus infection. One more script for amoxicillin (and a note to buy yogurt in addition to the bananas and diapers).

Another Monday and it seemed the kids were doing okay, and I was getting by with my Chloroseptic. Then Grace spiked a fever of 102. Back to the doctor, who found that her ears were clear and the rapid strep was negative (naturally, thanks to the amoxicillin), and advised us that it was likely viral and to treat the fever with ibuprofen. We went through a lot of ibuprofen over the next three days as she kept running fevers (104.9 at midnight on Wednesday!). The fevers finally tapered off, but she woke up this morning with pink spots! She looks like she has that blotchy newborn skin. The doctor assures us it's normal to see such a thing toward the end of an illness like this, and I hope that's true--that it's the end of the illness, because I'm sick and tired of everyone being sick and tired!

Edited to add: Oh, and in case you're wondering, Mike and Jonathan have been illness free. Lucky them. ;-)

Edited again to add: Andrea and I have pretty much determined that Grace's ailment this week has been roseola. Oh how fun!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I was just going to say, "sounds kind of like roseola." I think my three older boys have all had that before. The high fevers are scary though aren't they. We've managed to go the ER only twice with any of the boys and both times were Joel having a high fever (well over 104!). Anyway, I hope everyone is up to snuff now and that the illness has left your house for good! Thinking of you.